A virtual hard disk is very much identical to the physical hard disk of your PC. There are two kinds of VHD files VHD and VHDX file. Firstly we will know about VHD a
What is VHD File
A VHD file is known as Virtual hard drive. It can accommodate everything that is present on physical HDD – Disk partitions, file systems, data files, and folders. It is used as the HD of a Virtual machine.
What is VHDX File
A VHDX format represents a Hyepr-V Virtual hard drive. It has a huge data storage capacity. i.e. 64 TB as compared to Virtual Hard Drive data file which has 2 TB storage limitation. It can protect users data from damaged, corruption and extreme power failures etc.
Also check: ThopTv for Windows
Four Methods to Mount VHD and VHDX File
Here I will discuss four simple and easy methods to mount VHD and VHDX file. I will tell you all about all step by step so lets begin.
Mount VHD File in Windows Using Windows Explorer
It is the easiest way to mount or unmount a VHD or VHDX file. Follow the below mentioned simple steps to mount and unmount.
- To mount VHD or VHDX file right hit on the VHD or VHDX file and choose mount option.
- Now unmount VHD or VHDX file, go to the new volume, right hit and choose eject to detach or unmount.
Please note: The method can be executed without any technical knowledge by any novice users who has a Virtual hard drive file and wants to recover data file from it. If first method has not successful then try second method to mount VHD file in Windows 10, 8, 8.1 and all below Windows.
Mount VHD File in Windows Using Disk Management
This is the second way to mount or unmount VHD or VHDX file is through Disk management. Follow below mentioned steps to mount and unmount.
- To mount VHD, right hit on this PC the manage disk management and hit connect VHD. Or hit Windows key and write diskmgmt.msc in the search box to open disk management. Expand action menu and hit connect virtual hard drive.
Note: You can press Window+X keys and select disk management as shown below.
- To mount VHD, hit connect VHD and hit navigate to load the Virtual hard drive or VHDX file that you want to mounted hit on OK
- Finally right hit on the newly added volume and hit detach VHD
Mount VHD File in Windows Using CMD (Command Prompt)
This method can be used in Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7 to mount or unmount VHD or VHDX file.
- Hit Window+X and hit CMD Admin
- In command prompt write diskpart and click enter button. Write the following command to choose the VHD or VHDX file by specifying its location Select vdisk file = “location of VHD file” Then, hit Enter.
- To mount the VHD/VHDX file, Write attach vdisk and click Enter.
- To unmount a VHD/VHDX file, type detach vdisk and click Enter.
Mount VHD File in Windows Using PowerShell
By using Windows PowerShell cmdlet, users can mount or unmount VHD or VHDX data files in any version of Windows and Windows server 2016, 2012, or 2008 etc.
- Install PowerShell cmdlet as administrator
- Write the following commands to mount or attach the VHD or VHDX files
Mount-DiskImage-ImagePath “location of VHD file”
- You can Unmount the virtual hard disk with the help of this easy command
Note: For hyper-v users might get an error message mount VHD is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet.” Then you will have to add “Hyper-V Module for Windows PowerShell” to your server.
If performing manual method users have lost their important data then try third party software to recover VHD or VHDX data files.
Recover VHD or VHDX File Easily Try Third Party Software
If users lost their important data from VHD files then, no need to worry there are multiple software available in a market try the SysTools VHD Recovery Software and recover damaged and corrupted data from it. This software easy to use technical or non technical both users can use this software without any hassle. By performing this software you have to try few simple steps that mentioned below:
- Download and launch this tool on any version of Windows.
- Now hit on browse button. Then navigate the location where VHD or VHDX file saved. Select the damaged VHD files and click on open.
- Now Wait till the VHD file repair tool completes the recovery process.
- Application will list all recovered folders into Explore panel. Simply expand the folder and preview recovered items easily.
- Two options to Save recovered VHD or VHDX file data. Either Save complete restored files or selected file.
There are four different ways to mount or unmount VHD or VHD files with the help of PowerShell, Command Prompt, Windows Explorer, and Disk Management. But if your VHD/VHDX files are damaged or corrupted, you should try professional software like SysTools VHD Recovery to recover VHDX file or VHD file.